The church of Saint Nicholas “of the poor” is the oldest church of Syros that is still standing and was built in the 16th century (1590).
In 1691 , it was renovated and widened.
All the money raised in this church during the last century, were given to the poor people of Hermoupolis , with the initiative of Archbishop of Syros, Methodios.
During the last renovation of the temple , tombs with bones were discovered.
Today, it serves as a spiritual center for the orthodox residents of Ano Syros.