The church of Agios Nikolaos (patron saint of Hermoupolis) was founded by the cleric Daniil in 1848. King Othonas himself supervised the architectural studies. The marble columns were finished in 1870.
It was inaugurated by Archbishop of Syros, Alexandros Lykourgos in 1870.
It was the biggest and most impressive building of the time and for that reason it was described as the greatest of the Greek temples .
All people of Hermoupolis are proud of having this church into their town. Significant benefactors were Queen Olga, Czar Nicholas, the family of Stamatios Proios, Dimitris Vafiadakis and the ship owners Nikolaos and Minas Rethimnis.