The public library of Hermoupolis is found on the ground floor of the Cultural center, a beautiful neoclassical building of the 19th century (1863-1865).
The library is officially mentioned since 1926 and when it opened it had approximately 2000 books, mostly from the libraries of Syros’ High School (1835) and the one of Iakovos Rotas, a beloved friend of Korais(1842).
Valuable old books and limited editions are exposed in special places in the library. A reference must also be made to the collection of the local press’ archives from the last century up to today.
Almost 45000 books are at the disposal of the readers and the library is often enriched with new titles and editions.
In the last few years, the children of the island can also borrow or study books for their age in the beautiful environment of the children’s library.
See the photo gallery of the Public Library